Our Mini Marathon is a 2.62 mile sponsored run around Royal Greenwich Park. With a big emphasis on FUN, there is no pressure for children to run the whole way – they can dress up in their favourite fancy dress to run, walk, jog and, most important of all, enjoy the brilliant experience of taking part in the Hospice Mini Marathon!
Fun Runs and Kids Events in 2020
As the name suggests a fun run is a non competitive and in many cases are designed for children to take part in, though there are also plenty for adults to enjoy too. Because no one is keeping score, these races have a much more relaxed attitude and as such many will have a theme or element to them that makes them very unique compared to usual races.
You may see many fun races where people dress up in costume and run the entire race that way – it’s all part of what makes these runs fun! More recently Colour Runs such as the Wiggle Color Vibe have become very popular amongst first time runners as they offer short distances whilst keeping things relaxed and fun.
Training for a fun running can vary a lot depending on what elements the race has to it – as such you should find out all the info you can well in advance and then tailor your training to what you need to do on the day. As mentioned though many of these races are designed with kids in mine so you may just wish to go down to one and have a great family day out at an event such as the Big Fun Run
Kids Fun Run
These types of event are fantastic for children and alot of providers offer reduced entry prices for them too. Look out for ones that allow fancy dress, they will always appeal more to children if they can run as their favorite super hero or cartoon character!
Fun Runs for Charity
There are plenty of runs where you can also raise money for a charity, you can use our charity filter in the left search to find charities that support events. They will normally set you a fundraising amound and even give you sponsorship forms to help track any money raised.
THE running event every child wants to be part of! Over the past 6 years our Mini Marathoners and their families have told us that the Mini Marathon is so much fun because:
- Kids can walk or jog their way around the 2.62 mile route. It is not a race however if your older child really wants to test themselves and dash around the route at record speed then they can as we stagger the start according to age!
- Kids can dress up in their favourite fancy dress to run, walk or jog their way around. Just like the Virgin London Marathon, we love to see all the crazy costumes and wacky outfits the children (and adults!) wear.
- Parents can run with their child – if your child will let you that is!! If your child is aged between 5 and 7 years old a responsible adult must accompany them on the route.
- Children taking part feel a real sense of achievement when they finish the 2.62 mile route – especially after summiting up The Avenue hill!
- Every single penny raised helps support people with terminal illnesses, their families, and their carers in the London Boroughs of Royal Greenwich and Bexley. Last year the brilliant children who took part in the Mini Marathon help raise over £85,000 for their local Hospice. #amazing! The £7.50 per child registration fee covers the cost of running the event so it would be incredible if your child tried to raise as much sponsorship as they can.
- There will be a prize draw for children who raise over £50 in sponsorship – our way to thank just a few of our fantastic fundraisers.
It is best to arrive at 9:15am which means you'll be there for the warm up which starts at 9:45am. The fun begins at 10am and is 2.62 miles long.
Location: Royal Greenwich Park, Charlton Way, Greenwich, London, SE10 8QY
Age limits: *5 – 16 years *all children aged between 5 and 7 years old must run with a responsible adult
Registration Fee: £7.50 per child
T-shirts: £5.50 each a limited supply of Mini Marathons T-shirts will be available to purchase.
Maximum places: 1,800 – Mini Marathon places have sold out in the past few years so by signing up super early you can guarantee that your child has a place in THE running event every child wants to be part of!
Please note that online registration will close one week before the event on Friday 3rd May 2019 . There will NO on the day registrations!